Wednesday, May 8, 2013

A Mid-Century Mess made Modern! Chairs get a Re-do.



I found four of these mid-century chairs when we were out shopping a few weeks ago. SCORE!  Ok, my first thought was, "no WAY these are going anywhere near the house." The fabric was absolutely disgusting. As in, I should have worn rubber gloves to take them apart.

We hauled them home on the trailer, and put them in the garage. Then immediately scrubbed our hands.




 I disassembled them and, yes, cut right through that nasty old fabric.


The backrest of the chairs was a different style than I've upholstered before, but luckily wasn't too tricky once I looked at the way it was done previously.


Basically, you just staple right into the bottom side of the backrest, wrap the fabric around, fold it over so you get a nice finished edge, and staple right back along the bottom. Then, staple the sides, leaving room for the hardware holes to secure it back to the chair frame.


Here is the chair with just the seat cushion completed. I'm loving this fun fabric. It lends even more "modern" to the Mid-Century Modern style of the chairs. And after what they've been through in their lifetimes, they deserve a little love and excitement.


Excuse the crummy iPhone photos - I'll stage a better shot in the house, and upload when I have time. One down, three to go - I can just picture these around a white pedestal-base table, or tulip-style table. Or, for something even more dramatic, a round black table. 



Where would you put them?  Have you done any chair makeovers? What's the hardest thing you've reupholstered?


Linking up to: Savvy Southern StyleLady Behind the CurtainPolka Dots on Parade,

1 comment: